Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dont' Be A Piggy!!!

So I'm going to talk about farm animals tonight....funny how God makes us picture things, eh?


As I was watching "The Biggest Loser" the other night, I began to contemplate the situations the obese contestants were in. I'm talking...these people were 300, 400, 500 pounds. I almost cried at the beginning of the show because I kept thinking, "How can someone gain THAT much weight, and keep going, keep gaining, even though they know they're doing something stupid?" Now, I can say that over eating and over indulgence is stupid because glutiny is a sin. Which leads me to my animal revelation.

I began to think of a pig, as we often call people 'pigs' when they eat a lot, or in a messy manner. The pig is fattened up for the slaughter (sad but true...I love me some ham...hahaha), but the farmer doesn't take the time to cuddle it or nurture it as someone would a "normal" house pet. The pig pens are messy and smelly, and so are the piggies within it. They eat all the leftovers out of a trough, and don't think a second about it. Needless to say, it's gross. The more they eat, the happier the farmer is, because all he sees is the $$ in front of his eyes. 

Also on a farm, there are usually some horses. I think we can all say that they are generally respected breed of animals, and their competence has been valued for centuries. Horses are groomed, petted, loved on, feed fresh and yummy food. The farmer or rancher will saddle one up, and use it to go from one place to another, to herd other animals, or to just go on a ride. 

Bear with me here.

When we sin, we're like the pigs. We're a mess in our sin, and the devil..aka farmer... just fattens us up with more slop and gross stuff only to slaughter us and bring us down. The pigs pretty much know what's going to happen, I mean, they see all their buddies disappear, so why not them, right? Isn't this how we are when we live in sin? Our flesh says, "see, it happened to all these people, so it's going to happen to me, too. Might as well just go with the flow. I'm pretty comfortable with this messy life." 
Mark 5 talks about the possessed pigs being drowned in the river, when the demonic spirits asked to be sent there...interesting....

When we live in righteousness, we're like the horse. We're groomed and loved on by our owner, God...aka the farmer/rancher....but we're also used with a purpose. He saddles us, and uses the bit to direct us to the direction of His will. 

James 3:3 says: When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal.

He'll either bring us out to herd His lost 'animals', to travel to another city, or to just spend some one on one time. 

The horse is more open to correction and obedience, the pig just squeals and runs.

Are we willing to be like the horse, open to correction and guidance? Or are you going to be a complacent pig, full of sin and ignorance?


(Now I know it may seem weird that I went from The Biggest loser to farm animals, but like I said, that's just how God talks to me. We're weird, ok? lol


-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment